Thursday, October 1, 2009

Ricotta Gnocchi

Sunday September 27
Daughter Jill and family came over for brunch today. I made a wonderful Italian sausage egg casserole with green chiles for the main course. Instead of potatoes as a side, I chose a pasta dish out of Jasper Mirabile's new cookbook - Ricotta Gnocchi. I served it over pesto. It was a beautiful emerald green ( I make my pesto with garlic chives and the color is a brilliant green like grass.) AND - I didn't take a picture! I showed my granddaughter Tori how to make it and roll it into a rope. She watched as I cut it and then dropped it into the boiling water (and then you turn it down to a good simmer). So after a lovely morning complete with our favorite family brunch drink - Da Das, which are a mimosa-style drink served over the rocks with a splash of apricot brandy that smooths the acidity of the OJ. If you drink too many of them, as you try to speak, you trip on your tongue and say, "Da, da, da, da....!"

SO THE PICTURE?

I plan to make the gnocchi again this Sunday when my bridge girlfriends come over. I'll make it with bechamel, marinara and also with pesto - So we'll call it "Triple Sauce Ricotta Gnocchi" from Jasper's Kitchen Cookbook! And we'll post a picture or two

Just to make you salivate a bit, here are some photos of the gnocci courtesy of Jasper Mirabile. (Thanks Jasper!)


By the way, did I mention who the we are? Myself writing the text and my niece Lauren McKay, who is inputting and designing my blog and also helping with my e-newsletter. Right now the e-newsletter features all of the cookbooks that I carry. I try to include a recipe here and there. If you'd like to sign up for the newsletter, add your email to the box on the right of the page. Then you'll get an email confirming your subscription!


After the family leaves it is Round 3 of Boeuf Bourguignon (for the 3 classes scheduled for Sept 28, 30, and Oct 1). I'm getting to the point where I don't even pay attention to the recipe anymore. As Julia would say, "Establish your own relationship." So I cook and taste. If it doesn't look like there are enough onions or carrots - I add more. If it lacks a bit of zing - I add more thyme and a microplane full of lemon zest. The end result every time is YUM!


Supper tonight is steak soup from my friend Donna Gerber Missimer. It is good and even better when I add some leftover Boeuf Bourguignon to it!


*karen

No comments:

Post a Comment